[Lustre-discuss] Anyone using ACLs?

Craig Tierney craig.tierney at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 13 11:01:45 PDT 2012

On 3/13/12 11:54 AM, Tina Friedrich wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> assuming you're talking POSIX ACLs, they do, yes. We use ACLs (and
> default ACLs) a lot.
>
> One caveat being that we found that Lustre has a hard limit of 32 ACLs
> on a file - this is, we believe, something that ext3 used to have (but
> no longer has).
>
> But if you don't need to set more than 32 ACLs on anything, not a problem.

Thanks for the response and the details.  I do not believe that we need
that many.  We are faking directory based quotas in lustre through the
use of sticky bit (g+s) and then running scripts to change group ownership
to fix problems.  We just need to be able to tag certain files with a single
group ("restricted data") to block access to those without that group.
This should require only one ACL be set for the restricted data group.

Craig