[Lustre-discuss] Frequent system calls cause high load on meta data server

Christian Becker christian.becker at math.tu-dortmund.de
Fri May 4 21:34:26 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

one of our users calls within his R application an external program via
the system function very often (/home is a lustre file system):

  for (i=0;i<10000;i++)
  {
    system("/home/user/bin/program arg0 arg1 ....");
  }

The runtime for the external program is only a few seconds. With hundred
of these jobs running, the load on the meta data server goes up to 25
(2way quad core with lustre 1.8.3).

Is such a behavior known, if yes, how can I avoid it?

best regards,
Christian