[Lustre-discuss] lctl ping of Pacemaker IP

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:04:02 PDT 2012

Greetings!

I am working with Lustre-2.1.2 on RHEL 6.2.  First I configured it
using the standard defaults over TCP/IP.   Everything worked very
nicely usnig a real, static --mgsnode=a.b.c.x value which was the
actual IP of the MGS/MDS system1 node.

I am now trying to integrate it with Pacemaker-1.1.7.    I believe I
have most of the set-up completed with a particular exception.  The
"lctl ping" command cannot ping the pacemaker IP alias (say a.b.c.d).
The generic ping command in RHEL 6.2 can successfully access the
interface.  The Pacemaker alias IP (for failover of the combnied
MGSMDS node with Fibre Channel multipath storage shared between both
MGS/MDS-configured machines)  works in and of itself.  I tested with
an apache service.   The Pacemaker will correctly fail over the
MGS/MDS from system1 to system2 properly.  If I go to system2 then my
Lustre file system stops because it cannot get to the alias IP number.

I did configure the lustre OSTs to use --mgsnode=a.b.c.d (a.b.c.d
representing my Pacemaker IP alias).  A tunefs.lustre confirms the
alias IP number.  The alias IP number does not appear in LNET (lctl
list_nids), and "lctl ping a.b.c.d" fails.

Should this IP alias go into the LNET data base?  If yes, how?   What
steps should I take to generate a successful "lctl ping a.b.c.d"?

Thanks for reading!
Cheers,
megan