[Lustre-discuss] Using VMs for OSS machines

Colin Faber colin_faber at xyratex.com
Sun Nov 11 16:23:31 PST 2012

Hi Jon,

It really all depends on the kind of performance expectations you have,
you should be able to run VM's as OSS's without issue, however the
question is why? In most cases you want to utilize various physical
nodes to get around single node CPU / back end IO bandwidth limitations.
Another possible use case for this is for an active / active standby
pair on a single node (running in VM's) in such a case this may help
against localized software failures (logic errors) but won't do a think
to help you with hardware faults.

So really you have to consider what you plan to do with this and
remember that at some point you're paying for resources anyways.

-cf