[Lustre-discuss] Using VMs for OSS machines

Jon Yeargers yeargers at ohsu.edu
Sun Nov 11 15:43:07 PST 2012

Is it possible / reasonable to use VMs for the OSS component(s)? I’m wondering about the feasibility of spending my limited storage budget on iSCSI hardware and using some capacity from our existing VMware infrastructure for OSS, and MDx.

Something about this seems amiss though. Is it critical to commit ‘true’ hardware to managing the various devices? This setup would probably not exceed 20Tb spread across 5-6 iSCSI machines (for OSTs).