[Lustre-discuss] mds-survey on Lustre-1.8

Richard Henwood rhenwood at whamcloud.com
Tue Nov 13 10:49:23 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Christopher J. Walker
<C.J.Walker at qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
> In the Lustre 2.1 manual, mds-survey is mentioned, and google finds the
> source at:

Can you provide a link to the manual text? The manual may need
clarification on this point (see below.)

> http://git.whamcloud.com/?p=fs/lustre-release.git;a=tree;f=lustre-iokit/mds-survey;hb=HEAD
>
> It doesn't seem to work on Lustre 1.8. Should it?

No, mds-survey arrived with Lustre 2.2:
http://wiki.whamcloud.com/display/PUB/Lustre+2.2

<snip>

> What I'm actually trying to do is migrate an MDS to new hardware - and
> I'd like to perform some basic tests - partly to see if using LVM has a
> significant performance impact.

mds-survey appeals to me because you don't need any OSTs. I don't know
if a 'OST-free' performance setup is possible for your 1.8 testing -
others may know differently?

cheers,
Richard
Richard.Henwood at intel.com