[Lustre-discuss] mds-survey on Lustre-1.8

Christopher J. Walker C.J.Walker at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Nov 13 15:59:31 PST 2012

On 13/11/12 18:49, Richard Henwood wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Christopher J. Walker
> <C.J.Walker at qmul.ac.uk>  wrote:
>> In the Lustre 2.1 manual,

http://wiki.whamcloud.com/display/PUB/Documentation

has a link titled Lustre Manual 2.1 - though in a row titled 2.x

http://build.whamcloud.com/job/lustre-manual/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/lustre_manual.html#mds_survey_ref

>> http://git.whamcloud.com/?p=fs/lustre-release.git;a=tree;f=lustre-iokit/mds-survey;hb=HEAD
>>
>> It doesn't seem to work on Lustre 1.8. Should it?
>>

> No, mds-survey arrived with Lustre 2.2:
> http://wiki.whamcloud.com/display/PUB/Lustre+2.2

I was hoping (obviously incorrectly) that whilst it arrived in 2.2, it
would work with 1.8.

> <snip>
>>
>> What I'm actually trying to do is migrate an MDS to new hardware - and
>> I'd like to perform some basic tests - partly to see if using LVM has a
>> significant performance impact.
>>

> mds-survey appeals to me because you don't need any OSTs. I don't know
> if a 'OST-free' performance setup is possible for your 1.8 testing -
> others may know differently?

That's a clear advantage, and being a standard Lustre tool give some
confidence too.

Chris