[Lustre-discuss] [Lustre-devel] [wc-discuss] Seeking contributors for Lustre User Manual

Henwood, Richard richard.henwood at intel.com
Fri Nov 16 10:23:24 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 17:26 -0800, Ned Bass wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:12:40AM +0000, Dilger, Andreas wrote:
> >
> > I would prefer to see a fix immediately rather than someone filing a
> > ticket to describe the fix, since the documentation fix should be
> > self-describing.  However, if there is a problem that isn't immediately
> > resolved then a Jira ticket should be submitted in order to track the
> > defect and allow assigning the work to someone.
>
> LUDOC-11 seems to be a catch-all issue for submitting fixes to minor
> problems like typos.  However it sounds like you're saying we can bypass
> Jira altogether for such patches.  That would be nice; linking to a
> ticket with no useful content doesn't serve any purpose that I can see.
>
> The "Making changes to the Lustre Manual source" article currently
> instructs the reader to "file an LUDOC bug for change tracking in Jira"
> as the first step.  To avoid discouraging submission of minor fixes,
> perhaps a more lightweight process for that case should be covered
> first.  In particular, say either that minor fixes should reference
> LUDOC-11 in the summary, or just omit the Jira reference altogether,
> whichever is appropriate.

I've introduced a procedure for minor changes on the page:
http://wiki.whamcloud.com/display/PUB/Making+changes+to+the+Lustre
+Manual+source

This includes a cut-and-paste commit message to get people started.

My reasons including an arguably redundant issue (LUDOC-11) are:
- it creates consistent submission policy across the different projects.
- it gives an opportunity to easily measure minor changes

cheers,
Richard
Richard.Henwood at intel.com
High Performance Data Division