[Lustre-discuss] Xyratex News Regarding Lustre - Press Release

Larry tsrjzq at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:58:19 PST 2013

Con!
On Feb 20, 2013 7:11 AM, "Kevin Canady" <kevin_canady at xyratex.com> wrote:

> Greetings Community!
> Today we are very excited to announce that Xyratex has purchased
Lustre® and its assets from Oracle. We intend for Lustre to remain an
open-source, community-driven file system to be promoted by our community
organizations.  We undertook the acquisition because we realize its
importance to the entire community and we want to help ensure that it will
continue to deliver for all of us over the long term.  This is critically
important to the growth and vitality of Lustre; it’s how it became what it
is today, and it’s how it will deliver the most value in the future.
Several members of the Lustre community have endorsed these plans and
voiced their support of our purchase, and contributed quotes which were
included in our announcement today.

> Special thanks to our two community leaders Hugo Falter with EOFS and
Norm Morse with OpenSFS for their support to date and into the future as we
work to further the collaboration around Lustre.  Expect to hear more soon
as we head into the 2013 Lustre User Group meeting in San Diego.
http://www.opensfs.org/events/lug13/  It should be an exciting event!

> Best regards,
> Kevin
>
> P. Kevin Canady
> Director, Business Development Lustre and HPC Services
> kevin_canady at xyratex.com
> O: 510-687-5475
> C: 415.505.7701
>
> Xyratex Advances Lustre® Initiative, Assumes Ownership of Related Assets
>
> Xyratex plans to offer Lustre community and ClusterStor™ users
significant value

> Havant, UK – Feb. 19, 2013 – Xyratex Ltd (Nasdaq: XRTX), a leading
provider of data storage technology, today announced it plans to advance
the global Lustre® portfolio by supporting the community-oriented
development of Lustre as an open source file system and continuing to work
in conjunction with the broader community to help chart the best path
forward for this key technology. Xyratex has recently acquired the original
Lustre trademark, logo, website and associated intellectual property from
Oracle, and will assume responsibility for providing support to Lustre
customers going forward.

> “Lustre is a powerful open source file system, and Xyratex strongly
believes that all members of the Lustre community need to continue to play
a part in the evolution of the code and the benefits it delivers over the
long term,” said Steve Barber, CEO of Xyratex. “We want to ensure that
current Lustre customers get the best possible feature roadmap and support,
and we intend to engage the entire community to advance the Lustre
technology. We also appreciate Oracle’s support of Lustre, and their
efforts to ensure the long-term success of the technology.”

> The Lustre file system, which was first released in 2003, is a
client/server based, distributed architecture designed for large-scale
compute and I/O-intensive, performance-sensitive applications. The Lustre
architecture currently powers six of the top 10 high-performance computing
(HPC) clusters in the world and more than 60 of the 100-largest HPC
installations. It has emerged as a particularly popular choice in the
meteorology, simulation, oil and gas, life science, rich media and finance
sectors.

> This purchase also gives Xyratex the opportunity to continue to leverage
Lustre and provide more value through its best-of-breed ClusterStor™ family
of scale-out HPC data storage solutions. ClusterStor delivers a new
standard in file system performance, scalability and efficiency, and brings
together what were previously discrete server, network and storage
platforms with their own separate software layers. The results are
integrated, modular, scale-out storage building blocks that enable systems
to scale both performance and capacity while aggressively reducing space,
power and administrative overhead.

> “Cray has been using Lustre as our primary parallel file system for the
past 10 years, and has deployed some of the largest and most successful
Lustre installations in the world with a variety of storage products,” said
Barry Bolding, vice president of storage and data management at Cray. “We
have recently worked with Xyratex to deploy successful Lustre installations
in the government, energy, manufacturing and academic markets with the Cray
Sonexion storage system, including the record-breaking NCSA installation
running Lustre at over 1TB/sec. This announcement is another important step
for Lustre and the OpenSFS community, and shows the promising future of the
Lustre file system in supercomputing and Big Data.”

> “Xyratex’ deep knowledge of Lustre, and ability to deploy and support it,
has been critical in helping NCSA bring the Blue Waters system into
production and making a new class of computational and data focused
petascale system usable for our scientific and engineering teams,” said Dr.
William Kramer, Blue Waters Deputy Directory at the University of Illinois'
National Center for Supercomputing Application, whose Blue Waters
supercomputer is amongst the fastest and most efficient in the world. “With
Xyratex in a leadership role and continuing to work with the broader
community, we have the utmost confidence that Lustre will continue to
produce significant innovation, for the benefit of computational and data
focused communities.”

> “This strategic move by Xyratex is great news for the worldwide HPC
community and the technical computing industry, because it shows a
significant commitment to the future of Lustre,” said Earl Joseph, program
vice president of high-performance systems at IDC. “Xyratex has been an
integral member of the HPC and open-source community, and has worked with
many partners in the community to bring Lustre to end users and deliver
tremendous value. With Xyratex in this role, I’m looking forward to see
what’s next for Lustre in terms of innovation and value, especially as we
race towards exascale solutions.”

> “Our organization is committed to facilitating collaboration and support
for Lustre in the open file system community,” said Hugo Falter, director
of European Open File System (EOFS). “Time and time again Xyratex has
demonstrated its commitment to move Lustre forward with the rest of the
open source community and make it more reliable for end users. I have
complete confidence that Xyratex will remain true to this commitment over
the long term.”

> “OpenSFS actively supports the HPC open source file system community of
which Xyratex is an active Member,” said Norm Morse, CEO at OpenSFS.  "This
acquisition gives Xyratex a great opportunity in concert with other members
of the Lustre community to continue the stability needed to ensure Lustre
remains a vital part of HPC going forward.  We look forward to working with
Xyratex in the future.”

> “Xyratex, through this purchase, puts Lustre into the hands of a company
that is focused on the needs of High Performance Computing, which is a good
thing for the HPC community,” said Addison Snell, CEO at Intersect360
Research. “Over the past few years the community has made significant
progress in addressing these concerns, and Xyratex is well-positioned to
facilitate the continued development and evolution of Lustre in the years
ahead.”

> “Xyratex’s knowledge of Lustre, and ability to deploy and support it, is
of tremendous value to the Lustre community,” said Tommy Minyard, director
of advanced computing systems at Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC).
“With Xyratex continuing to play an active role going forward, we have the
utmost confidence that the Lustre community will continue to produce
significant innovation, for the benefit of everyone.”

> “Xyratex' acquisition of the Lustre assets secures the trust the
community needs to continue investing in Lustre as a critical data access
technology,” said Peter ffoulkes, research director for servers,
virtualization and cloud computing at 451 Research. “Lustre is an integral
component of some of the fastest and largest data storage systems in
production today, a requirement that is only going to increase as the
‘Internet of Things’ feeds the proliferation of ‘Big Data’ in both private
and public cloud environments. As the largest supplier of OEM data storage
offerings, Xyratex has taken a strategic step to ensure the continued
adoption of Lustre as a preferred solution for the most demanding data
storage and access environments.”

> Xyratex is active and plays an integral role within several Lustre and
HPC community organizations, including: OpenSFS; European Open File System
(EOFS); the Exascale I/O Workgroup (EIOW); and the European Technology
Platform for High Performance Computing (ETP4HPC).

> About Xyratex
> Xyratex is a leading provider of data storage technology, including
modular solutions for the enterprise data storage industry and hard disk
drive (HDD) capital equipment for the HDD industry. Xyratex enterprise data
storage platforms provide a range of advanced, scalable data storage
solutions for the Original Equipment Manufacturer and High Performance
Computing communities. As the largest capital equipment supplier to the HDD
industry, Xyratex enables disk drive manufacturers and their component
suppliers to meet today’s technology and productivity requirements. Xyratex
has over 25 years of experience in research and development relating to
disk drives, storage systems and manufacturing process technology.

> Founded in 1994 in an MBO from IBM, and with headquarters in the United
Kingdom, Xyratex has an established global base with R&D and operational
facilities in North America, Asia and Europe.

> Contacts:
>
> Brad Driver
>
> Vice President of Investor Relations
>
> Tel:  +1 (510) 687-5260
>
> Email: bdriver at xyratex.com
>

> Mike Stolz
>
> Vice President of Marketing and Alliances
>
> Tel:  +1 (952) 303-4780
>
> Email: mstolz at xyratex.com
>
> Lustre is a registered trademark of Xyratex Ltd. Other names may be
trademarks of their respective owners.