[Lustre-discuss] Questions concerning quotacheck.

Adrian Ulrich adrian at blinkenlights.ch
Tue Jan 22 23:10:10 PST 2013

Hi,

> But apart from that, when else is quotaceck required? For example is there
> any case where the quotas will not be coherent? And have to run quotacheck
> again in order to recheck them?

Lustre versions prior to 1.6.5 required you to run quotacheck after server crashes.
Recent versions (1.8, 2.x) use journaled quotas and will survive crashes just fine.

We are running Lustre 1.8 and 2.2 servers and i never had to re-run quotacheck on them.

> Secondly, inside the operations manual v1.8.4 section 9.1.2 it states that
> the required time for quotacheck to complete its task, is proportional to
> amount of files in the fs. So is there a practical way to get an indication
> of the amount of time quotacheck will need?

I can't give you exact timings (or a formula) but it's pretty fast:

We enabled quotas on our 1.8.x system while about 100TB were already used.
(Medium sized files). The initial `quotacheck' run finished within 30 minutes.

Regards,
 Adrian

--
 RFC 1925:
   (11) Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and