[Lustre-discuss] root squash problem

Bob Ball ball at umich.edu
Fri Jul 19 07:34:46 PDT 2013

We have just installed Lustre 2.1.6 on SL6.4 systems.  It is working
well.  However, I find that I am unable to apply root squash parameters.

We have separate mgs and mdt machines.  Under Lustre 1.8.4 this was not
an issue for root squash commands applied on the mdt.  However, when I
modify the command syntax for lctl conf_param to what I think should now
be appropriate, I run into difficulty.

[root at lmd02 tools]# lctl conf_param
mdt.umt3-MDT0000.nosquash_nids="10.10.2.33 at tcp"
No device found for name MGS: Invalid argument
This command must be run on the MGS.
error: conf_param: No such device

[root at mgs ~]# lctl conf_param
mdt.umt3-MDT0000.nosquash_nids="10.10.2.33 at tcp"
error: conf_param: Invalid argument

I have not yet looked at setting the "root_squash" value, as this
problem has stopped me cold.  So, two questions:

1. Is this even possible with our split mgs/mdt machines?
2. If possible, what have I done wrong above?

Thanks,
bob