[Lustre-discuss] how the lustre distribute data among disks within one OST

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Thu Jun 13 10:22:53 PDT 2013

On 06/13/2013 05:19 AM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Christopher J. Morrone
> <morrone2 at llnl.gov> wrote:
>> Lustre does not  manage the individual disks.  I sits on top of a
>> filesystem, either ldiskfs(basically ext4) or zfs (as of Lustre 2.4).
> Is ZFS the recommended fs, or just an option?
> Doesn't ZFS suffer major performance drawbacks on linux due to it
> living in userspace?
> Thanks,
> Eli

LLNL (Brian Behlendorf) ported ZFS natively to Linux.  We are not using
the FUSE (userspace) version.  You can find it at:

   http://zfsonlinux.org

ZFS is one of the two backend filesystem options for Lustre, as of
Lustre 2.4.  2.4 is the first Lustre release that fully supports using
ZFS.  Here at LLNL we are using it on our newest, and largest at 55PB,
filesystem.

Chris