[Lustre-discuss] ACLs and extended attributes after MDS move

Christopher J. Walker C.J.Walker at qmul.ac.uk
Sun Mar 24 17:23:48 PDT 2013

On 23/03/13 15:59, Christopher J. Walker wrote:
> I have moved the metadata server on a lustre 1.8 filesystem  (previously
> upgraded from 1.6) to new hardware.
>
> The posix acls and extended user attributes don't seem to have been
> preserved.

[snip]

> What I did was:
>
> # On old server
> mount -t ldiskfs /dev/sdb /mnt/mgs

The problem is the following:

Although that's what is documented in the Lustre 1.8 manual, it seems I
should have done is:

mount  -t ldiskfs -o user_xattr -o acl /dev/sdb /mnt/mgs

to preserve  the extended attributes and acls.

> cd /mnt/mgs
> getfattr -R -d -m '.*' -P .

To get out of this, I've done the following on the old MDS

getfattr -R -d  -P . >aclfile

and then setfattr --restore=aclfile

and similarly with the acls.

Chris