[Lustre-discuss] Proper shutdown sans clients

K. Scott Rowe krowe at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 22 07:51:27 PDT 2013

We use Lustre 1.8.7.  Our environment has many Lustre clients spread
out accross several networks.  When an emergency happes, like a power
outage, where we need to quickly shutdown the Lustre servers we
frequently are unable to shutdown the clients first.  I know that the
documentation recommends shutting down Lustre in this order:

  unmount clients
  unmount MDT
  unmount OSTs

So my question is, what would the recommended procedure be if one
cannot shutdown all the clients first?  Would it just be

  unmount MDT
  unmount OSTs

Or is there something else that should be done because we cannot get
the clients shutdown first?

--
K. Scott Rowe -- Linux Grouop Lead
Array Operations Center, National Radio Astronomy Observatory