[Lustre-discuss] Proper shutdown sans clients

Lee, Brett brett.lee at intel.com
Tue Oct 22 08:06:42 PDT 2013

Scott,

What is preventing the clients from being shut down?  Unable to unmount the file system?  If that is the case, please try "umount -f" instead of umount.  This will result in an unclean unmount, but the client *will* be able to unmount Lustre.  If other, please advise.

Regarding the order of shutdown, I've been advocating:

Clients
MDT
OSTs

As the MDS is a client of the OSTs (the MDS runs an OSC for each OST).

However, using this method has seemingly triggered the recovery process on targets when bringing up the file system.

I understand that in version 2.4, OSSs will need to communicate with the MDSs, seemingly creating a two way dependency (possibly my confusion on the matter, but clarification here is requested ).  However, as you are using 1.8.7, this latter point should not cause you any problems.

--
Brett Lee
Sr. Systems Engineer