[Lustre-discuss] Proper shutdown sans clients

K. Scott Rowe krowe at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 22 08:21:07 PDT 2013

The problem is many of our clients are workstations on people's desks
as well as servers and clusters.  I don't have a good list of all the
Lustre clients so I don't know all the clients to unmount.  I've
thought about making a script to parse lshowmount and unmount clients
that way but haven't had the time.  I was hoping that ignoring the
clients would be acceptable and just let them recover once Lustre is
back up.

So, I guess it is a question of risk.  If the consensus is that
shutting down the clients first is very important to prevent data loss
and/or corruption then I will get a script working to do that.  But,
if the risk is minimal given a recommended way to shutdown Lustre
without dealing with the clients, I would be interested in that.