[Lustre-discuss] Unattached Orphan Inodes

Alastair Ferguson aferguson at cmcrc.com
Mon Jun 23 16:11:17 PDT 2014

I have run:

e2fsck -n -v —-mdsdb /tmp/mdsdb /dev/mapper/mpath1p1 >> /tmp/mdsdb_results2.txt

On my MDS as it is crashing regularly and it says I have unattached inodes which means presumably I just have to run lfsck -l -v after I have run the e2fsck on the OSTs against the MDSDB to put them into lost+found.

I couldn’t do this before because when this corruption originally happened it wouldn’t let me run e2fsck on one of the OSS’s because it had external journals but I discovered (in part by what Andreas said on Friday) that I can remove the journal and then recreate it internally thereby allowing me to run e2fsck and therefore lfsck correctly.

So my question is, this is just a corruption in the MDS - i.e. metadata not the OSTs so does that mean I won’t lose any actual data files, just file references? What data loss should I expect?

Let me know.

Thanks!

Alastair Ferguson
IT Manager
Capital Markets CRC Limited (CMCRC)
Telephone: +61 2 8088 4222
Mobile: +61 424 235 159
Fax: +61 2 8088 4201
www.cmcrc.com

Capital Markets CRC Ltd - Confidential Communication
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential.  It is intended for the addressee only.  If you receive this e-mail by mistake please promptly inform us by reply e-mail and then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy. You must not disclose or use in any way the information in the e-mail. There is no warranty that this e-mail is error or virus free. It may be a private communication, and if so, does not represent the views of the CMCRC and its associates.  If it is a private communication, care should be taken in opening it to ensure that undue offence is not given.