[Lustre-discuss] OST recovery/e2fsck version

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue May 13 22:44:51 PDT 2014

It is usually best to use the newest e2fsprogs release, since it has the most fixes. This is currently 1.42.7.wc2 though we are just in the process of releasing 1.42.9.wc1.

That said, I would not run e2fsck on the failing device. That can cause extra stress on the device and cause it to fail sooner.

Better to copy it to a new device using "rescue_dd" or "dd conv=sync,noerror if=/dev/old of=/dev/new" and then run e2fsck on the new device. Not only is that less likely to induce more errors on the failing device, if there are any problems with e2fsck you can copy the data again.

Cheers, Andreas