[Lustre-discuss] Lustre build and install on Ubuntu

Mandar Joshi mandar.joshi at calsoftinc.com
Wed Nov 5 05:10:30 PST 2014

Hi,

                I have 2 questions regarding building and installing Lustre
server on Ubuntu. We have a running Lustre setup on RHEL and now trying to
build and install on Ubuntu.

1.       Whether latest Lustre (2.6+) server can be built on Ubuntu with the
same steps as for RHEL? Or are there different steps for Ubuntu.

2.       Has anyone tried this before and/or Whether Lustre2.6.x server is
supported on Ubuntu.

3.       In another experiment, I took my RHEL working rpms (patched kernel
& lustre) and converted them to .deb packages using "alien". I could install
all rpms and then could also boot into my lustre-patched-kernel. I am able
to mkfs.lustre my MGS (and even could mount it) But mkfs.lustre for MDT
fails.

a.       First it gave errors like "Invalid filesystem option set". So I
installed e2fsprogs-1.42.7.wc1-7.el6.x86_64.rpm and
e2fsprogs-libs-1.42.7.wc1-7.el6.x86_64.rpm (which I had used for my RHEL)
using "alien"

b.      After this now it gives me another error, "Filesystem has
unsupported feature(s) while setting up superblock". I found similar issue
at
https://www.mail-archive.com/pkg-lustre-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org/
msg00263.html . I am NOT getting message "Your mke2fs.conf file does not
define the ldiskfs filesystem type.". Still tried solution suggested in the
next mail, which did not work. Even links for ldiskfsprogs are not working
to try. Do I need some other version of e2fsprogs?

Can anyone throw light on this ?

Thanks,

Mandar Joshi