[Lustre-discuss] Lustre build and install on Ubuntu

Mandar Joshi mandar.joshi at calsoftinc.com
Wed Nov 12 05:22:32 PST 2014

Hi,

	If I am understanding it correctly, Nathan's steps below are to
build Lustre client. I want to create Lustre server .deb packages.
	I have patched my kernel with Lustre server patches and also have
ported ldiskfs patches for my kernel and I have successfully booted into
that kernel on Ubuntu and I am trying to create lustre server packages.(I am
able to run my patched-kernel and Lustre 2.6 on RHEL though).

It seems that many people have not tried Lustre server on Debian now a days.
There are few ways people have created packages on Debian but most of them
are for Lustre clients.

Lustre Debian package links:
Link1:
http://linuxsysadm.wordpress.com/2014/10/10/lustre-2-6-on-debian-wheezy-clie
nts/
Lnik2:
https://hpc.uni.lu/blog/2013/generating-debian-packages-under-3-dot-2-kernel
-for-lustre-2-dot-1/

Following link have some suggestions to build lustre server, but again it
seems to be old.
Link 3:
https://groups.google.com/a/whamcloud.com/forum/#!topic/wc-discuss/3DNCH1Bt3
q8
Link 4: http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php/Debian_Install

With suggestions from above links, now I am able to create few .deb
packages, but it seems that Lustre server modules package is missing.

Steps I followed:
sh autogen.sh
./configure --enable-dist
make dist
mkdir BUILD
cd BUILD/
ln -s ../lustre-2.6.53.tar.gz lustre-2.6.53.orig.tar.gz
tar xzvf ../lustre-2.6.53.tar.gz
cd lustre-2.6.53/
./configure --with-linux=<Path to my Linux source> --with-o2ib=yes
dpkg-buildpackage --------> successful [Instead of dpkg-buildpackage if
'make debs' is run it fails ]

Packages built:
linux-patch-lustre_2.6.53-1_all.deb
lustre_2.6.53-1_amd64.changes
lustre_2.6.53-1.dsc
lustre-dev_2.6.53-1_amd64.deb
lustre-source_2.6.53-1_all.deb
lustre-tests_2.6.53-1_amd64.deb
lustre-utils_2.6.53-1_amd64.deb

[As I have already booted into my patched kernel, I assume I do not need to
install linux-patch-lustre....deb]
As per link#4 above, lustre-modules-2.6.XX-lustre-X.X.X._XXXXXX.deb and
liblustre-X-X.deb packages seem to be missing.

I tried " module-assistant -u/your/working/directory  -k
/path/to/the/kernel/linux-2.6-X.X " as suggested in Link#4 but it does not
list any lustre modules in "SELECT" option.

Is anything I am missing here?

Anyone tried Lustre server build, install and running for Ubuntu? I know its
not supported OS for Lustre server now a days, but still it would be great
if somebody can throw more light on the same.

PS: Adding Pratik in the loop who is working with me.
--
Mandar Joshi