[lustre-discuss] OST partition sizes

Scott Nolin scott.nolin at ssec.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 29 07:38:12 PDT 2015

Just to chime in on our 8+2 vs 10+2 tests, since I ran those.

I tested ldiskfs with hardware raid6 and raidz2. Hardware vs software
raid I think made no noticeable difference.

I used IOR, singlefile, 100MB files. That's the most important workload
for us. I tried several different file sizes, but 100MB seemed a
reasonable compromise for what I see the most. We rarely or never do
file striping.

I remember I did see a difference between 10+2 and 8+2. Especially at
smaller numbers of clients and threads, the 8+2 performance numbers were
more consistent, made a smoother curve. 10+2 with not a lot of threads
the performance was more variable.

Still, it wasn't a big enough difference for *our* needs to make it a
"never do 10 data + 2 parity". We get in situations where we have
12-disk arrays sometimes and don't want to waste the capacity.

Definitely shows 8+2 is more ideal though, and a good general
recommendation.

At higher numbers of clients and threads, the differences pretty much
disappeared for total performance. That kind of makes sense to me.

Scott