[Lustre-discuss] build from source

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Sun Jan 18 10:52:37 PST 2015

The lustre.org site is sadly out of date. Hopefully that will be fixed soon, but for now it probably isn't a good place to go for information about Lustre.

The HPDD and OpenSFS sites have more current information.

That said, you should first ask yourself whether you actually need to build Lustre or just use existing packages. It is a lot easier to use existing packages. If you are just testing on your laptop, you can test in a VM and use a pre-built kernel most easily.

Note that there is no Lustre server support for 3.17 kernels yet, so you can't use that combination today.

For clients you do not need to patch the kernel, but for servers you either need to use ldiskfs with a kernel that has patches for it, or use ZFS. You don't strictly need to patch even the server kernel anymore, but you will miss some performance improvements.

Cheers, Andreas