[lustre-discuss] resize2fs to get more inodes on MDT

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue Jun 16 12:10:05 PDT 2015

On 2015/06/16, 12:32 PM, "John White" <jwhite at lbl.gov> wrote:

>Hey Folks,
>	We mis-sized out MDT and ran out of inodes.  What is the sanctioned
>method of getting more inodes?  Would a resize2fs suffice (we have plenty
>of extents left in the VG hosting the MDT) or would we need to backup and
>migrate to a new MDT with more inodes right off the bat?

You should be able to resize using resize2fs from the Lustre e2fsprogs,
though this isn't done very often.  Any modern filesystem should have been
formatted in a way that will allow it to be grown easily.  It is best to
grow the filesystem in larger chunks instead of a number of small ones.

I'd *strongly* recommend that you make a device-level MDT backup first.

Lustre Software Architect
Intel High Performance Data Division