[lustre-discuss] Kernel panic on mounting MGS

Sumit Mookerjee sumit at iuac.res.in
Thu Jun 25 21:57:21 PDT 2015

Hi!

We run a 55 TB Lustre file system for our HPC users, with an MGS and an
MDT on one node (nas-0-0), and four OSTs, two partitions on each of two
nodes. After a year of stable operations, we had a major cooling system
failure, and all the servers and clients crashed.

Since then, have not been able to mount the MGS partition; the server
simply crashes. I can mount the MDT, and the OSTs, but that does not
help without the MGS running. I can mount the MGS with ldiskfs. An
e2fsck on the MGS partition (also on the MDT and OST partitions) shows
up no issues.

Is there any way I can recover the MGS? I read that just doing a
writeconf on the MDTs and the OSTs would regenerate the MGS config, but
that does not seem to help (perhaps because the MGS cannot be mounted as
lustre in the first place?).

Have also tried creating a new MGS (mkfs.lustre --reformat --mgs) on a
spare partition we had on nas-0-0. The mkfs seems to complete without
errors, but the system crashes again when I try to mount this new
partition as lustre.

Is there any way to fix the problem without deleting all data from the
MDT/OSTs (in short, starting afresh)?
Am at my wit's end, and clearly do not know enough to understand what is
going on. Any help much appreciated!

Thank you.

Sumit Mookerjee

Sumit Mookerjee