[lustre-discuss] 2.1 MDT recovery on test hardware

Ben Evans bevans at cray.com
Fri Jun 26 07:09:16 PDT 2015

I think I see where you're going with this, but I think you need to cobble together a complete test system in order to do it.

1) So, set up a single MDS/(MDT + MGT), and an OSS/OST.

2) Mount a client, dump some data in (for what you're trying, you want to create lots of files, not lots of data)

3) Create MDS2 (give it its own IP address), and set up the lvm mirror as you described.  Wait for it to sync.

4) Use tunefs.lustre to add MDS2 as a failnode for the MDT

5) start creating some more files

6) power off MDS1, and mount the MDT on MDS2

Play around with the scratch systems a few times, reformat the whole thing, start over, etc. and figure out if you can do this ... failover? consistently, or if you need to halt the clients for everything to be successful.  Also figure out if you can unmounts and remount the whole thing.

-Ben Evans