[lustre-discuss] HSM -- requirements -- usage scenario and expectations

Kevin Abbey kevin.abbey at rutgers.edu
Fri May 8 06:49:43 PDT 2015

Hi,

I was reading the HSM documentation and I don't understand the HSM
requirements exactly.

Do we need to purchase an HSM solution to manage the migrated data? Can
the POSIX CopyTool copy data to a zfs file system with compression and
deduplication, as a slow tier for migrating data off of the primary lustre?

Consider:
  a single or dual OSS, 500TB total capacity, as it fills to be over 85%
utilized, performance decreases, then migrate 30%, purge 20% and expect
to observer performance increases.  Is this a viable scenario and
expectation?

Can anyone share a link to a general use case, reference implementation
without using proprietary 3rd party tools?

Below are references I have read partially thus far.  If there is a
recorded presentation, video or slides please share the link or a title
to search in google will be helpful.  I'm guessing that these concepts
have already been debated during the development of HSM.  I apologize if
the questions here are repetitive on the lustre-discuss list.

Thanks,
Kevin

An introduction to the newly HSM-enabled Lustre 2.5.x parallel file system
http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/solutions-content/cloud-systems-and-solutions/high-performance-computing/_shared/docs/clusterstor-inside-lustre-hsm-ti.pdf

https://wiki.hpdd.intel.com/display/PUB/Lustre+2.5
http://insidehpc.com/2015/02/inside-lustre-hierarchical-storage-management-hsm/

Managing Data from High Performance Lustre to Deep Tape Archives
http://web.stanford.edu/group/dlss/pasig/PASIG_September2014/20140917_Presentations/20140917_08_Managing_Data_from_High_Performance_Lustre_to_Deep_Tape_Archives_Thomas_Schoenemeyer.pdf

http://opensfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/530-600_Aurelien_Degremont_lustre_hsm_lug11.pdf

--
Kevin Abbey