[lustre-discuss] HSM -- requirements -- usage scenario and expectations

Cowe, Malcolm J malcolm.j.cowe at intel.com
Sun May 10 17:15:35 PDT 2015

The POSIX copytool can be used to transact with any archive that presents a POSIX interface. NFS is a common interface onto archives, for example.

The POSIX CT is supplied in Lustre as a reference implementation of a CT -- many archives have their own interfaces, and these requires their own copytools, so the POSIX CT acts as a reference, a working example of the API. It is therefore, not necessarily particularly optimised.

A ZFS storage system may be a suitable archive; generally it is recommended that an archive can be presented/mounted on multiple HSM agent nodes simultaneously in order to provide multiple paths to the archive storage from Lustre. This allows for increased parallelism and availability. Presenting the ZFS storage to the HSM agents via NFS, for example.

Also be aware that the POSIX CT in Lustre will create a directory structure based on the FID for storing the Lustre files in the archive, with a separate directory tree for recording the name space. The name space tree uses soft links to refer to the actual files in the FID tree.

The following example may help to illustrate the structure of the archive when managed by the POSIX CT:

[root at c64-3a /]# find /archive
/archive
/archive/demo
/archive/demo/shadow
/archive/demo/shadow/f001
/archive/demo/0001
/archive/demo/0001/0000
/archive/demo/0001/0000/0400
/archive/demo/0001/0000/0400/0000
/archive/demo/0001/0000/0400/0000/0002
/archive/demo/0001/0000/0400/0000/0002/0000
/archive/demo/0001/0000/0400/0000/0002/0000/0x200000400:0x1:0x0
/archive/demo/0001/0000/0400/0000/0002/0000/0x200000400:0x1:0x0.lov

[root at c64-3a /]# ls -l /archive/demo/shadow/f001
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 52 Aug 1 19:40 /archive/demo/shadow/f001 -> ../0001/0000/0400/0000/0002/0000/0x200000400:0x1:0x0
[root at c64-3a /]# ls -lL /archive/demo/shadow/f001
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1048576 Jul 31 23:02 /archive/demo/shadow/f001

Different copytool implementations will have different structures, depending on the requirements of the archive. Not everything uses POSIX, after all.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Cowe
Intel High Performance Data Division