[lustre-discuss] Coexistence of Luster client and server on a single machine

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at ics.muni.cz
Fri May 22 04:33:29 PDT 2015

Hello,

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 04:27:12AM +0000, Dilger, Andreas wrote:
> There has been occasional work to fix problems with memory pressure
> deadlocks from a client on the same node as the OSS, but this has never
> been a primary goal of any users/developers.
>
> The main problem with running a client on the same node as an OSS or MDS
> is that this prevents Lustre recovery from working, because the client on
> that node will never be available during recovery.
>
> Depending on your requirements and your usage, this may be acceptable, but
> it is definitely not a way that most people are using Lustre and you need
> to be aware of that.  If you are willing to test this out I think you'd be
> doing other users a service to know how this is working.

thank you for info. My idea was to try to replace my GPFS setup, that uses one
disk array (several LUNs) and three front-ends. GPFS is exported via Samba.

So I think about Lustre OSS and MDS to run on those three front-ends, but to
be able to export Lustre via Samba, I would need Lustre mounted on at least
one of the front-ends for Samba backend.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek