[lustre-discuss] Coexistence of Luster client and server on a single machine

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Thu May 21 21:27:12 PDT 2015

On 2015/05/21, 5:34 AM, "Lukas Hejtmanek" <xhejtman at ics.muni.cz> wrote:
>some time ago I asked whether it is possible to run lustre server (OSD)
>and client (mount -t lustre) on the same machine. Somewhere close to
>Lustre 1.3.x, the answer was not, such setup is not recommended due to VM
>pressure from client and server.
>
>Is there anything new with current mainline Lustre version? So, can I
>mount my lustre fs on the same server that is used as OSD or MTS without
>harm?

There has been occasional work to fix problems with memory pressure
deadlocks from a client on the same node as the OSS, but this has never
been a primary goal of any users/developers.

The main problem with running a client on the same node as an OSS or MDS
is that this prevents Lustre recovery from working, because the client on
that node will never be available during recovery.

Depending on your requirements and your usage, this may be acceptable, but
it is definitely not a way that most people are using Lustre and you need
to be aware of that.  If you are willing to test this out I think you'd be
doing other users a service to know how this is working.

Lustre Software Architect
Intel High Performance Data Division