[lustre-discuss] MGTMDT device getting full

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Fri Oct 16 10:37:12 PDT 2015

Hi Torsten,

There is no reason to suspect that space usage on the MDT will be the
same as the average space usage on the OSTs.

Your MDT is storing the metadata about _all_ of the files in your Lustre
filesystem.  You can think of this metadata as a whole bunch of
zero-length files with some extended attributes, because under the
covers that is basically what the MDT is storing.

So space usage on the MDT will be directly proportional to the total
number of files in your Lustre filesystem.  The size of those files
doesn't really matter much, because the contents of the files are stored
on the OSTs.

So your issue is that, for your filesystem, on average your files are
too small to allow filling your OSTs.  Some possible solutions are:

* Increase the size of your MDT
* Encourage/require your users to start using larger average file sizes

Granted, neither approach is terribly easy.

I think that you can pretty safely ignore the changelogs suggestion.

Chris