[lustre-discuss] MGTMDT device getting full

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Fri Oct 16 15:09:21 PDT 2015

On 2015/10/16, 12:03, "lustre-discuss on behalf of Torsten Harenberg"
<lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org on behalf of
torsten.harenberg at cern.ch> wrote:

>Thanks Chris for both of your mails.
>
>One of my users is already heavily deleting files. Of course metadata
>usage goes down now, but too early to conclude if that will recover a
>substancial amount of space.

If MDT usage is going down when files are deleted, it is likely due to
file striping.  Do you perhaps have a default stripe count >= 7 for all
files?  That would consume an additional 4KB per file on the MDT, in
addition to slowing down file access.

Better to reduce the default stripe count and only set a high stripe count
for files (or defaults on their parent directories) that are going to be
large.

Cheers, Andreas