[lustre-discuss] [HPDD-discuss] possible to read orphan ost objects on live filesystem?

Chris Hunter chris.hunter at yale.edu
Tue Sep 1 06:59:30 PDT 2015

Hi Andreas,
Thanks for your help.

If you have a striped lustre file with "holes" (ie. one chunk is gone
due hardware failure, etc.) are the remaining file chunks considered
orphan objects ?

AFAIK the online lfsck tool will scrub orphan objects. When mounting a
OST on our oss server, I see syslog messages such as:
> Aug 31 23:20:45 oss1 kernel: Lustre: test-OST0002: deleting orphan objects from 0x0:228989008 to 0x0:228989127

Which leads me to believe these OST objects are subject to removal.
However I don't know what exactly are orphan objects.

thanks,
chris hunter
chris.hunter at yale.edu