[lustre-discuss] 1.8 client on 3.13.0 kernel

Martin Hecht hecht at hlrs.de
Wed Sep 9 01:13:56 PDT 2015

Hi Lewis,

Yes, for lustre 2.x you have to "upgrade" the OS, which basically means
a reinstall of a CentOS 6.x (because there is no upgade path across
major releases), then install the lustre packages and the lustre-patched
kernel, and then the pain begins.
We had a lot of trouble when we upgraded our lustre file systems from
1.8 to 2.4. I would recommend to consider a fresh install of lustre 2 on
a separate hardware, then migrate the data (1.8 clients are able to
mount lustre 2 file systems, but not the other way round, and for
working quota support you need 1.8.9) to the new file system, and
finally reformat the old file system with lustre 2 and use it for
testing or backups or whatever.
However, if buying new hardware is not an option, the upgrade is
possible, and depending on the history of the file system it might work
quite smoothly. Upgrading a freshly formatted lustre 1.8 with some
artificial test data worked without any problems in our tests before
doing the upgrade of the production file systems.

Regards,
Martin