[lustre-discuss] resolution of LU-4397 [Permanently disabled OST causes clients to hang on df (statfs)]

Jessica Otey jotey at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 23 11:06:03 PDT 2016

All,
This is a bit of a complex scenario but I am hoping that someone out
there can provide some relevant experience.

We have a production lustre system whose servers we have just recently
upgraded from 1.8.9 to 2.4.3.

In testing a few clients (before upgrading them all), we encountered
this (known) bug:

https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU-4397

This bug was actually discovered by one of my NRAO colleagues, Wolfgang,
who works in Green Bank, WV (whereas I work in Charlottesville, VA).

There are two things with which I would appreciate the list's help:

1) Identifying a version where this bug is FOR SURE fixed. If you read
the ticket, it appears that the change was landed for 2.5.2 and 2.6, but
that users have reported the bug existing (still?/again?) in 2.5.3. We
absolutely need upgrade beyond 2.4.3, but it would be nice to know how
far we need to go in order to have functional clients, ideally out of
the box. (In addition to the df command, we have critical software that
uses statfs).

2) Identifying another person who has experienced this bug IN A LEGACY
ENVIRONMENT, i.e., in a system that started a 1.8.x, in which OSTs were
made permanently inactive, and then the system upgraded to 2.5.3. In
this case, I'd be curious as to whether the workaround described in the
ticket by Wolfgang (who used it on 2.5.3) works for you, too. (It DOES
NOT work for us on 2.4.3.) At least this way, if the bug still exists in
2.5.3, we'll be more confident that we can use the workaround successfully.

Thanks for your time,
Jessica

--
Jessica Otey