[lustre-discuss] Does an updated version exist?

Oleg Drokin oleg.drokin at intel.com
Fri Aug 26 12:48:23 PDT 2016

On Aug 16, 2016, at 6:55 AM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:

> I just found this paper:
> http://wiki.lustre.org/images/d/da/Understanding_Lustre_Filesystem_Internals.pdf
>
> It looks interesting but it deals with lustre 1.6 so I am not sure how relevant it still is.....

Well, I believe it deals with 1.8

The "from 10000ft perspective" things are still true.

LDLM, most of ptlrpc and significant chunks of LNet sections are correct, most of MGS.

Client side IO stack and server side IO and MD stacks have been completely rewritten
(but principles wrt locking are the same as are protocols).
There's nothing about ZFS obviously in that doc.

The document was produced by ORNL and we helped them to do the deep dive.
I imagine if there are interested parties to produce an updated version of the document,
they just need to book appropriate amount of time with the engineers at Intel
to provide the updated explanations about how internals work
(it's best to be written by third parties anyway since once you work too much
on some code, you take too many things for granted/think they are obvious,
and then the end result has gaps that make it hard on the outsiders).

Bye,
    Oleg