[lustre-discuss] patchless Lustre client on ZFS

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Wed Feb 3 22:52:47 PST 2016

On 2016/02/03, 06:37, "lustre-discuss on behalf of Peter Kjellström"
<lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org on behalf of cap at nsc.liu.se>
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 14:00:28 -0500
>"Ms. Megan Larko" <dobsonunit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Patrick,
>>
>> I appreciate the clarification.  I wasn't sure what "patchess" really
>> meant in this context.
>
>To further clarify. All client builds (I know of) are patchless. Server
>builds can be patchless if using zfs but requires patched kernel for
>ldiskfs.

There isn't strictly a need for _kernel_ patches for ldiskfs either these
days, though of course still a bunch of patches for ldiskfs itself but it
means that Lustre can be built against an unpatched kernel so long as the
sources are available and an ldiskfs patch series exists for it.

The remaining kernel patches for RHEL7 are only for fault injection, and
performance tuning at the block layer for specific SCSI devices.

Cheers, Andreas