[lustre-discuss] Odd behavior with Matlab.

Laifer, Roland (SCC) roland.laifer at kit.edu
Thu Jun 2 02:31:56 PDT 2016

Hello Phill,

we had the same problem. The reason is a Lustre bug and a odd way how
Matlab creates directories. This is all clearly described in
https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU-4185

New Matlab versions just try to create all directories in the path and
they continue if the return code is EEXIST. Lustre *sometimes* provides
the wrong return code (EPERM instead of EEXIST). This is also described
in the update from 15/Feb/16 9:31 PM in LU-4185. Other applications
possibly have the same problem, too.

The good news is that future versions of Lustre will allow to change the
default behaviour (if I understood the last update correctly). It seems
that it is not planned to fix the bug as default since this would have a
performance impact. The bad news is that it will probably take some time
before the patch is available in stable Lustre versions. (I opened a
case and asked our Lustre support to provide the patch in their Lustre
version.) Also bad news is that Mathworks is not willing to provide a
workaround (we asked them, too).

Regards,
  Roland