[lustre-discuss] Odd behavior with Matlab.

Phill Harvey-Smith p.harvey-smith at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Jun 2 02:04:15 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have recently compiled the lustre clients on Ubuntu 16.04, with help
from this list I managed to get that working with source checked out on
May 31.

In our environment we have the user's home directories on a lustre volume.

However when a user starts Matlab they have problems :

R2016a just dumps them straight back to a command prompt with the error:

Warning: failed to create preference directory /home/stsxab/.matlab/R2016a.

R2015a
Starts up, displays the splash screen and then a big page of java
errors, the first of which is :
Internal error: No write permission on
/home/stsxab/.matlab/R2015a/temp0x3e20x407d

R2014b
Works as expected.

When I login with a user who's home directory is on the local
filesystem, all 3 versions work correctly, which suggests a problem with
the interaction between Lustre & Matlab.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers.

Phill.