[lustre-discuss] quotacheck on a live fs (pre 2.4)

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Sun Mar 20 02:36:01 PDT 2016

My guess is that the trouble is caused by the Bytes added or moved while the quotacheck-scan is running. That gives you an estimate of the size of the
inaccuracy.

We gave the users/groups quota in the order of 100 - 1000 Terabytes. During quotacheck, people would not write more than a few Terabytes, so the
effect is negligible. Comparison with 'du' results showed no dramatic deviation.

quotacheck can be painful for the MDS, though. So if you have to go through several 100 M files - that might be a point for a  quiescent system.

Regards,
Thomas