[lustre-discuss] stuck combined mgs/mdt server when an ost is disabled

Fernando Perez fperez at icm.csic.es
Mon May 23 03:31:06 PDT 2016

Hi.

I have migrated our lustre filesystem from 2.4 to 2.8 release two weeks
ago and all works very well.

Now I need to migrate one OST due to hardware updates.

First I disabled the OST using lctl deactivate in the metadata server
and then I executed lfs_migrate in a client, but it ran very very slow.

I discovered that when I disabled the ost the workload was very high,
increases from 1 to 30, in the mdt/mgs server and the write operations
in the lustre filesystem are very slow. Seems that there is a pause
between you try to run the write operation and the operation is performed.

Finally if I turn to enable again the OST, previously disabled, lustre
filesystems turns to work normally.

What could be the problem?

Regards.

Fernando Pérez
Institut de Ciències del Mar (CMIMA-CSIC)
Departament Oceanografía Física i Tecnològica
Passeig Marítim de la Barceloneta,37-49
08003 Barcelona
Phone:  (+34) 93 230 96 35