[lustre-discuss] GID only mapping in 2.8.60?

Stephane Thiell sthiell at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 4 20:05:55 PDT 2016

Hi Andreas,

> I agree that allowing ranges of UID/GID to be mapped would be very useful in different sites, instead of creating so many separate IDs.
>
> In your case, it might be simplest to add a flag to the nodemap like "identity_uid" that avoids the need for UID maps, and then only install GID maps and a select number of UID maps as needed?  It might also be worthwhile to add an "identity_gid" flag at the same time, even if you aren't using it at this time.

Yes indeed, something like identity_{uid,gid}_unknown would be great (to match another existing flag named ‘deny_unknown’ for example).

For now, I have been able to create many separate idmaps (it’s slow though) and so far it works, even with 2.7 clients!

It only takes a few tens of MB on the servers, so no big deal, but I am a bit concerned about MD ops performance with such a big map.

Thanks to the developers for this useful feature that will help many sites.

Best,
Stephane