[lustre-discuss] Quick ZFS pool question?

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 11:03:13 PDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Mohr Jr, Richard Frank (Rick Mohr)
<rmohr at utk.edu> wrote:

>> On Oct 13, 2016, at 12:32 PM, E.S. Rosenberg <esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I thought ZFS was only recommended for OSTs and not for MDTs/MGS?
>
> ZFS usually has lower metadata performance for MDT than using ldiskfs which is why some people recommend ZFS only for the OSTs.  However, ZFS has features (like snapshots) that are useful for the MDT so some folks are willing to accept a performance hit in order to take advantage of those features.

does anyone have an actual figures on how much lower the performance
is?  like 10%, 20%, 30%  the performance gap was probably mentioned
somewhere else, but i missed it

our next internal lustre build is going to use zfs for both mdt and
ost, but the driver is a patchless kernel not so much performance.
but if there's a tremendous performance gap, i'd like to be aware of
that