[lustre-discuss] Unknown symbol errors on client

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Fri Oct 28 09:49:13 PDT 2016

All,

I am seeing the odd Unknown Symbol errors on some of my client nodes when they boot up. It causes the system to take a LONG time to boot and I am trying to figure a cause.
I am confused a bit because I have 5 systems that are the same hardware. 2 of those systems boot up quickly, without the error.
Has anyone seen this on a client node? If so, what can be done to alleviate it?

At bootup, I see a line:
modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting lustre (/lib/modules/2.6.32-642.6.2.el6.x86_64/extra/lustre-client/fs/lustre.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

And I find in dmesg:

Lustre: Lustre: Build Version: 2.8.59_62_g165c308
ib0: no IPv6 routers present
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol RQF_FLD_QUERY
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol req_capsule_set_size
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol req_capsule_client_get
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol ptlrpc_queue_wait
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol RMF_GENERIC_DATA
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol req_capsule_server_get
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol ptlrpc_at_set_req_timeout
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol ptlrpc_request_alloc_pack
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol RMF_FLD_OPC
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol ptlrpc_request_set_replen
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol RMF_FLD_MDFLD
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol ptlrpc_req_finished
fld: gave up waiting for init of module ptlrpc.
fld: Unknown symbol RQF_FLD_READ
LNet: Added LNI 10.100.8.5 at o2ib [8/256/0/180]
LNet: Added LNI 10.1.8.5 at tcp [8/256/0/180]
LNet: Accept secure, port 988
fuse init (API version 7.14)
Lustre: Mounted DATA-client

Brian Andrus