[lustre-discuss] lfs fid2path user access

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 10:37:23 PDT 2017

Greetings List!

I may have posed this question previously, but I am unable to located the
answer.

Using older Lustre 2.1.x, a user running the command "lfs fid2path ..."
fails for "Operation not permitted" even for files owned by that UID.   The
command is successful for the root user.  Conversely, the command "lfs
path2fid ..." is successful for both the user owning the file and root UID.

It seems to me that the "lfs" commands were separated from the "lctl"
commands so that unprivileged users could successfully use "lfs" queries.
Since Lustre 2.1.x is old (I'm getting new systems very very soon--smile),
has the "lfs fid2path ..." permission restriction for users been addressed
in Lustre 2.7.x and newer?

Thanks!
megan

Background detail:
An "strace" of the "lfs fid2path ..." for the user and root-user diverge at
the point ---
open("/lustre", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_DIRECTORY) = 3
ioctl(3, 0xffffffffc0086696, 0x798040)  = 0     # for UID=0

open("/lustre", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_DIRECTORY) = 3
ioctl(3, 0xffffffffc0086696, 0x798040)  = -1 EPERM (Operation not
permitted)    # for UID != 0

...where /lustre is the Lustre mount point on the client.