[lustre-discuss] Designing a new Lustre system

Carlson, Timothy S Timothy.Carlson at pnnl.gov
Thu Dec 21 16:53:46 PST 2017

Isilon is truly an enterprise solution. We have one (about a dozen bricks worth) and use it for home directories on our super computers and it allows easy access via CIFS to users on Windows/Mac.

It is highly configurable with “smart pools” and policies to move data around based on age/size/access time/etc.    How you “stripe” the data depends on the policy you set.

It is a BSD with Isilon magic sauce. It uses its own Infiniband networking on the backend to move data around and pipe it out various front ends that you have configured. But as has been pointed out, it doesn’t really do parallel I/O.

For our users with millions (or hundreds of millions of files), it works as a solution.

Tim