[lustre-discuss] replacing empty OST

Jessica Otey jotey at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 19 14:47:19 PST 2017

Patrick,

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you just need to pass
--replace when you run mkfs.lustre.

from man mkfs.lustre

   --replace
               Used  to  initialize a target with the same --index as a
previously used target if the old target was permanently lost for some
reason (e.g.
               multiple disk failure or massive corruption).  This
avoids having the target try to register as a new target with the MGS.

This will allow you to specify the index number you used previously. You
will probably need --reformat as well if it detects a filesystem already
there.

I've done this and it doesn't require unmounting anything.

Jessica