[lustre-discuss] Lustre and OFED

Jeff Johnson jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
Thu Jul 27 14:09:37 PDT 2017

Eli,

The biggest driver is usually the drivers. Newer Mellanox hardware not yet
supported, or supported well, by kernel IB. Way back in the days of old
there were some interoperability issues where everything (clients and
servers) needed to be the same drivers and libraries but much of that was
cleaned up. There could be situations where OFED is needed on the server
side to support something under the Lustre layer like OST or MDT block
devices via iSER, SRP, NVMeF, etc.

There may be other reasons but those are off the top of my head.

--Jeff

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM, E.S. Rosenberg <esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> How 'needed' is OFED for Lustre? In the LUG talks it is mentioned every
> once in a while and that got me thinking a bit.
>
> What things are gained by installing OFED? Performance? Accurate traffic
> reports?
>
> Currently I am using a lustre system without OFED but our IB hardware is
> from the FDR generation so not bleeding edge and probably doesn't need OFED
> because of that....
>
> Thanks,
> Eli
>
> Tech specs:
> Servers: CentOS 6.8 + Lustre 2.8 (kernel from Lustre RPMs)
> Clients: Debian + kernel 4.2 + Lustre 2.8
> IB: ConnectX-3 FDR

Jeff Johnson
Co-Founder
Aeon Computing

jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com
www.aeoncomputing.com
t: 858-412-3810 x1001   f: 858-412-3845
m: 619-204-9061

4170 Morena Boulevard, Suite D - San Diego, CA 92117

High-Performance Computing / Lustre Filesystems / Scale-out Storage