[lustre-discuss] Lustre and OFED

E.S. Rosenberg esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu
Thu Jul 27 14:15:02 PDT 2017

Jeff (and Grigory - offlist),

Thanks for your fast replies!
On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 12:09 AM, Jeff Johnson <
jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com> wrote:

> Eli,
>
> The biggest driver is usually the drivers. Newer Mellanox hardware not yet
> supported, or supported well, by kernel IB. Way back in the days of old
> there were some interoperability issues where everything (clients and
> servers) needed to be the same drivers and libraries but much of that was
> cleaned up. There could be situations where OFED is needed on the server
> side to support something under the Lustre layer like OST or MDT block
> devices via iSER, SRP, NVMeF, etc.
>
> There may be other reasons but those are off the top of my head.

So currently everything seems to be working just fine without OFED, my only
complaint is that the normal Linux interface counters don't report traffic
properly which means I have to write my own perfquery wrappers for tools
like zabbix etc.

I may try adding OFED if I have time at some point but I hope by then to at
least have moved our servers to CentOS 7.3 + Lustre 2.9/10.

Has anyone ever run benchmarks of vanilla vs. OFED?
Thanks again,
Eli