[lustre-discuss] Lustre [2.8.0] and the Linux Automounter

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jun 19 07:03:48 PDT 2017

> We are considering using Lustre [2.8.0] with the Linux automounter.  Is
> anyone using this combination successfully?  Are there any caveats?

fwiw, we use static Lustre mounts and then autofs doing bind mounts
if we want to make the exposed namespace tidier.  Lustre client mounts
are inherently heavier-weight than simple local (or NFS) mounts;
I'd definitely try to avoid doing them frequently.

Admittedly, we haven't tried Lustre automounts for years, but IMO automounts
only make sense when the FS is infrequently used.  For us, it would be very
strange if Lustre weren't in use - an idle node, basically.)

regards,
Mark Hahn | SHARCnet Sysadmin | hahn at sharcnet.ca | http://www.sharcnet.ca