[lustre-discuss] missing lustre version in /proc/fs/lustre/version

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Thu Jun 22 02:05:36 PDT 2017

On Jun 21, 2017, at 19:39, Riccardo Veraldi <Riccardo.Veraldi at cnaf.infn.it> wrote:

> I noticed as well that now "lustre check osts" does not work anymore
> with normal user privileges:
>
> error: check: osts status failed
>
> while it works with root privileges.
> Looking with strace turns out that a normal user has no privileges to
> look into /sys/fs/lnet/devices   /sys/kernel/debug/lnet/devices  and so
> on...

There are no files /sys/fs/lnet/devices or /sys/kernel/debug/lnet/devices, only
/sys/kernel/debug/lustre/devices which itself appears to be world readable..

Hmm, it appears that the /sys/kernel/debug is restricted to root users only,
even though there are subdirectories and files that are world readable.

> so basically to run "lustre check" from the lustre client is not
> possible as a normal user, while it was possible before.
> Is there a workaround or is it intended to be like that ?

This change is unintentional.  Can you please file a ticket in Jira with details.

Cheers, Andreas